Our method – what makes it different and why are we so cocky?February 19, 2018
5 MISTAKES YOU’RE MAKING ON SOCIAL MEDIAMay 25, 2018
It’s not just the size of the skyline that’s different in NYC, PR is a totally different animal in the Big Apple and has to be tamed in a completely unique way (although the British accent helps).
As a PR that has offices and clients in both NYC and London, we know a thing (or five) about how PR in both the major capitals works. Here are our five top differences between PR in New York City and London:
- PRINT VS DIGITAL
- NYC <3 PRINT – New Yorkers still haven’t fallen out of love with print press – and the streets are lined with newsstands. Print press is king in NYC.
- LONDON <3 DIGITAL – Londoners instead love themselves some online news – from Facebook ‘news’ posts to the Mail Online – the morning commute is a minefield of people glued to their phones and tablets for their daily news fix (or top 5 tips for getting streak-less fake tan). RIP Glamour Magazine.
- GETTING IN FRONT OF JOURNALISTS
- NYC <3 LUNCH – journalists in the Big Apple live for lunch meetings – it’s a city where deals are made or broken over Thai noodles. This face time with journos is invaluable giving PRs the time to pitch directly and grabbing some grub at the same time.
- LONDON <3 DESKS – in this new digital age – London journalism has turned into ‘turn-alism’ with journalists looking to turn around frequent online pieces at lightspeed – all based on what’s trending on social media and Google. With this huge workload, London journos are more likely eating a quick meal deal sandwich at their desk than tucking into roasted salmon at the Ivy.
- WHAT DO JOURNALISTS WANT?
- NYC <3 SENATIONALISM – things are bigger in the Big Apple and that includes the stories. A breaking bulletin or sensational newsflash is on the radars of NYC journalists. Got a story? Add some bells and whistles, a celebrity or three, a world record, add some nudity and stick something up its bum and you might just be onto something.
- LONDON <3 LISTS – due to the unquenchable thirst of London’s digital scene – publications love themselves some top tips and signs – “5 signs you’re a loser”, “5 tips for divorcing your parents”, “5 signs your life is crap” – you get the idea.
- GETTING BRAND AMBASSADORS
- NYC <3 CELEBS – in NYC, celebrities are treated better than the Royal Family. Good quality celebrities tend to be willing to promote businesses, products and projects as freebies just because it’s something fun to try / do / you ask super nicely (in a British accent).
- LONDON <3 #INFLUENCERS – digital partnerships are common and carry more currency in the British capital. Though, some influencers tend to feel a quick share to their 1k followers demands a £200 cheque and a free car. It’s a no from us.
- RESULTS – NUCLEAR VS SMALL, CRESCENDOING *raspberry*
- NYC <3 TRENDS – Jeeze whiz – press in NYC is POWERFUL. One good restaurant review and you won’t get a table there for weeks. Unfortunately – after a while ‘everyone’ will be eating at the next week’s favourite restaurant – leaving the momentarily famous owner with an empty dining room and the framed, wall-mounted review gathering dust. You need a PR agency that knows how to take those quick bursts and keep the momentum going.
- LONDON <3 COMMITMENT – as digital press is more prevalent in London – results tend to be more slow burning, but longer lasting. Luckily for our clients – we’re good at the big flashes too.