Retainers are great. You sign a contract, you pay a set amount of money to your PR, the decide what work you get for that fee, they go on holiday (they get paid), you go on holiday (they get paid), they do loads of work and you’re super happy (they get paid), you get nothing but reports, explanations of ‘how PR works’ and promises of articles ‘awaiting publication’ (they get paid).
Retainers are great … for PR agencies. It’s months of guaranteed money … for them. For you, it’s a gamble, and it’s a pretty steep one.
We don’t want you to take a gamble – we want you to win – and when you win, we win (so we really want you to win!)
Today we’re giving you 5 reasons we offer Pay Per Results PR services (the jewel in our crown).
- We’ve got a ton of journo and influencer contacts – like an actual ton. Think of how many times a day we talk to journalists on behalf of 500+ different types of clients – from celebrities, to businesses offering big national news stories to experts on relationships. It’s a lot. We have a lot of stories to tell and a lot of review opportunities to offer too (5* hotel in Scotland anyone? Or a sexy new beauty product to try?) which keeps us pally with our journo and influencer buddies.
- We like plenty of clients to pay with – we have loads of contacts because we have a lot to offer journalists and influencers. We only get that by having a lot of clients – so we reduced the risk and the barrier to having a PR company. Who has £2k+ a month anyway?
- It keeps us honest – it’s one thing to say “we get you results” and another to actually only get paid for them. We like to put our money where our mouths are. No results? The staff don’t eat.
- We hate awkward conversations – despite doing plenty of TV work – our CEO is a big wuss and the last thing he’d want to do it have to ‘justify’ a retainer against the results you get. That sounds trés awkward. We like transparency and happy conversations (over coffee, Pret coffee).
- It’s soooo 2005 – we are modern folk, we get ubers, we order in and we have an app for everything. This isn’t an episode of Ab Fab. The days of champagne launches and ‘sweetie, darling’ are fading away. It’s not who you know, it’s the content you are offering. Content is king. Getting column inches today is about the content not the connections. The activity isn’t as involved as it was before (digital journalists don’t have time for power lunches) so why should we charge a retainer? £100 for a pre-approved, published comment piece, review or influencer endorsement makes a lot more sense to us!
So why Pay Per Results PR services? Because we are Sanity Marketing and we put the sanity into your marketing.
Remember, if a press release is published ‘as is’ (without further comments needed from you) there’s no additional charge.