As a PR agency we like to think we are different, and it got us thinking – do businesses and brands really need to hire a PR agency at all?
Here are 5 reasons why you don’t need a PR agency:
- Anyone can give away free stuff (even you) – gifting can be a great tool for getting reviews and into your product or service into line ups. But how hard is it really to give away stuff for free – not very. “Would you like a free meal?”, “would you like a free ticket?”, “would you like a free bag of nuts (I was looking around for inspiration and saw my breakfast)?” – there really isn’t any need to pay someone big bucks when you can do it yourself.
- Journalist requests can come to you – with the invention of software like Response Source and the #journalistrequest hashtag on twitter – journalist requests can come straight to you. For £1,000 a year and a keen eye on your emails / twitter you could be racking up column inches before you know it.
- Connections – if you want to get friendly with journalists in your field, and develop relationships with celebs and influencers – why pay an agency to get in the way as middleman? Go straight to the source, make friends yourself, skip the dancing act and save yourself some money. Hey – we’ll even give you a list of journalists you could reach out to.
- Connections – no one is going to care about your brand and business like you do. Trusting your reputation and PR strategy to someone can be a scary thing – and do you really need to do it?
- Stories – every day you live and breathe your business – so surely you are in the best position to tell those stories yourself? (You are creating them!)