On a fully optimised site, visitors will come from a variety of sources – not just one! The purpose of effective inbound marketing is to make your site a magnet to all different kinds of traffic. Here are the main 5.
- Organic Traffic – this type of traffic can land on your site as a result of searching a phrase, keyword or your business name through a search engine. To generate traffic this way, there are two methods:
- For people searching for keywords like your products, services and local – your site must be optimised for said specific keywords (On-site and off-site SEO will help here).
- For people searching for your business name brand awareness is the generator. The more your potential clients see you – the more they will search and find you. It’s accumulated from press coverage social media posts and advertisements too.
- Direct Traffic – direct traffic comes from users who directly input your URL into a web browser. To increase direct traffic, increase your brand awareness. Make sure your URL is prominently shown on your social channels, business cards, emails and just about anywhere else you can think of!
- Paid Traffic – this kind of traffic comes to you through (non-social media) paid internet advertising. One of the most common examples is Google Ads, but there are plenty of other platforms, too. Paid traffic (as you might’ve guessed by its name) does require some investment, but your reach can be vastly improved if you know the right keywords and lead capture mechanisms to boost your success.
- Social Media Traffic – social traffic comes from your social channels – both organic and via paid traffic ads. For example, via your Instagram or Facebook feeds. Organic social media traffic typically starts off slow but grows along with the size of your follower base. The key to boosting your social media traffic is to improve the quality of your interactions. Engage with your audience with content you know they’ll enjoy interacting with and reach out where possible – and always display your website address. For social media traffic ads (a massive website driver) make sure you are ‘selling the click’ onto your website.
- Referral Traffic – referral traffic refers to (see what we did there?) users who land on your website via external links clicked from other websites. To improve this source of traffic, you’ll need to improve your link-building strategy. Through creating quality content that can be shared with other sites, you can earn lots of backlinks and, consequently, lots of referral traffic. Press coverage also directs people to your site through backlinks, therefore, generating referral traffic.
If you’re at a loss about where to start with your inbound marketing, Sanity Marketing can work with you to help your business engage with your customers and get them to your site. Our unique Sanity Express Method is a condensed approach to our full method and can offer you off and on-site SEO support, website traffic analysis, traffic ads and lead ads, all for a reduced price to help you on your way.